Sunday, September 9, 2012

Accident derails finish for two weeks!

A real reminder this week that I am burnt out, and my body really needs a break.  I took about 4 days off when I got home from our holiday, it took longer than normal to recover from this holiday, I usually allocate a couple of days, before I plan too much.   I did a couple of rides on the Cochrane trials, and enjoyed the fall colors.   I am beginning to understand that color feeds my soul.   Looking at the trees, I love having all the shades of green, yellow, orange and red.  Such a change from the many different colors of green.  I do love fall, my favorite season.  I also enjoyed listening to the leaves crunching under my tires.   I missed all the paved trails from the holiday but enjoyed the feeling of home, and watching the birds getting ready for winter.

On Saturday I decided to head to Calgary for a change of pace and Wes joined me.     My original plan was just about 25 kms, but we got past the zoo and decided to check out some of the nose hill creek trail....   I'm turning into my hubby, I love new trails, it was awesome following the creek, and in one spot there  is an awesome view of the airplanes landing.   I have never had a better view of this before in my life, I look forward to going there again and having a coffee and just enjoy the beauty of the planes landing and circling the city.  We turned around after a quick dip into Golden Acres to make sure the toilet worked and than headed back.  I wanted to finish in Cochrane, so needed to head home to I could get to the 1500 on my odometer along the Bow River.    As we headed into downtown Calgary, we came across a festival which is really where I actually finished if I took in account the kilometers I missed due to my wires being broken on my odometer a couple of times.    It was only fitting that there was coffee and music playing to celebrate this with me, of course only Wes and I in our minds thought they were celebrating my victory.




 As I enjoyed this I realized that biking brings its joys that you wouldn't get by driving, you come across activities happening in parks that I would even know were on if it weren't for the cycling.   I love the joy of hearing children's laughter, family's enjoying time together and youth being young!    Then to make sure I knew Calgary was really celebrating my victory, when we got to the other side of downtown, china town was having one as well!


I love these grasses, they remind me of the prairies and the peace of them blowing in the wind..... I am adding this just because I can!



  When we got back to the car, I had actually put in over 50 kms. and only had 15 left to officially end my journey.   I shed a couple of tears as in my heart I knew I had accomplished my goal, but according to the official record (odometer) I had 15 more to go.  I just knew I would get it done on Sunday.  Ask me if I was smiling!

Sunday came and was heading to do the ride that I call going to blow the stink off, I planned it so that I could get done by the bench that's behind my house so that I could always go there and enjoy the moment of finishing this journey.     Wes joined me again, we chatted about this yesterday and we figure Wes had done close to maybe half of the ride with me.   I was glad to have him today!    I have been pushing it this week, and knew my body was tired, but just wanted to "get er done" and then rest up for a couple of weeks.    We headed down near the Rodeo grounds to get to the creek to head home, I got down the hill and stopped as I can't jump curbs with my bike.  My left leg collapsed due to fatigue and because my balance was off I, in slow motion fell on my right side but landed on a metal channel on the back side of a steel sign.  It sliced below my knee about 1/2" wide to the bone and 2" long.   Wes had a first aid kit and thankfully put gauze in it.  Lucky for us there was a very kind man who was there for a slow pitch tournament who came over to help, because my fused foot was twisted in my bike and we couldn't get me up.   The kind man ended up taking me to acute  care, where I got 14 stitches (two layers) and was told no cycling for 14 days when stitches hopefully will be taken out. Don't you just love it when decisions are made for you?  As I told the cute doctor as he was stitching me up, I now have a permanent scar (free tattoo) marking this occasion!   You know how you slack off, I didn't have my phone with me nor have I ever carried a first aid kit with me, times have changed and I always will.  Thanks Peter for you kindness, much appreciated.  I always seem to get the support when I need it!  Life is good. 
Here's a picture of it after the stitches and no blood!   Notice I may of ruined my favorite socks.

In my dreamworld I'm done my cycle ride, at home with no stitches and having a cold beer on the deck celebrating my accomplishment!   Oh and sun is shining,birds singing, and I am at goal weight and my bike isn't twisted.   

Have a safe happy day!.

Theresa...


No comments:

Post a Comment