Sunday, September 23, 2012

The last Hooray! Finished!

YIPPEE  my odometer reads 1500kms.







I've been waiting for my wound to heal...( it looks like a smiley face from my view) . so I could officially  reach the 1500km on the odometer.    It was still oozing some blood and puss, but I was told I could cycle in two weeks, so out I went.    In my heart I knew I had accomplished my goal, so when I reached it in reality it didn't feel like wow!   I am proud of reaching my kilometer goal, and am still short on my fundraising goal but that can change, but what I took away the most from this journey was realizing I need to continue my MS journey with people who love and support me.

I've been thinking and contemplating a lot on a cycle ride I took a few years ago.  It was the Hiawatha trail in Idaho, here's a little blurb about it...

Spectacular Scenery. It was called one of the most scenic stretches of railroad in the country. When the Milwaukee Railroad was operating, the trains traversed through 11 tunnels and over 9 high trestles, covering a 46 mile route that crossed the rugged Bitterroot Mountains between Idaho and Montana. The "Route of the Hiawatha" is most famous for the long St. Paul Pass, or Taft Tunnel which burrows for 8771 ft. (1.66 miles) under the Bitterroot Mountains at the state line. 


We had to rent  a light for my bike as the tunnel which is 2.7 Kms. long is pitch dark and you can not see the end of the tunnel and they won't let you cycle without one.  My light didn't work, so Wes tried biking as close as he could to me so I could see the light from his bike.  You are cycling  on a narrow trail that slopes on both sides, with water dripping on both sides, it's cold and it is  pitch dark, you can't see your hand in front of your face.   Finally a group of women caught up to us, and one of the riders had a blinking red light on her helmet so she went ahead of me and I focused on the light to find my way.   About halfway you could finally see some light it was about the size of pin head, and as you cycled it kept getting larger and larger as you got to the end.   I hadn't really thought of this for awhile but when we were cycling in Coue d'lane I was reminded of this  ride and I realized it represented my summer of cycling.

I started my journey of 1500 kms this summer of kind of being in the dark, of not knowing what I would encounter, but the heart (light) was in for the long haul and I knew that I would do my best in completing my ride.  I hadn't thought of all the rain in June or the hot July , and I am so glad I had my  tumble off the bike at the end of the tunnel and not at the beginning.    I ended up with encountering lots of different things but what helped me the most was the support of others helping to keep my heart ( light) in it.   I could not of done this journey without the support of so many encouraging words, is so many different ways.   I walked away from this journey with something I didn't expect, the feeling that I'm not in this fight alone, that when I need support it will be there.   Here I was raising money for helping find new ways to fight MS, which gave me hope, and found so much  more in the knowing that I have the support I will need for what ever comes my way.   I went in with being excited about having Hope and came away knowing I have everything I need to continue my fight with MS.


I finished where I wanted to a few feet north of our house, where there is a lovely bench that faces the Bow River, I will always be able to go there and remember this summer.   Yes I will be smiling.





I always knew I was blessed with my Hubby who has supported and loved me from the day I got this, he has been  my rock and knows how to let me be and when to kick my butt.... I love being loved so well!


My son, who I have always felt bad for, has never known life without MS..  He has not once voiced a bad word about it or shown anger to me over the MS, it is something that I am so proud of, as it certainly isn't the norm, especially in a child and as a teenager.  He has supported me in so many little ways that brings tears to my eyes and makes my heart warm.   I wish life for him would of been different, especially for a few bad years when my MS was not in control, but it also brought good to our lives.   I got to stay home and raise him, and the one thing I have always thanked MS for is that I do not take good days for granted and when they come I live them.  Scott and I had days when cleaning and cooking were put aside to play and enjoy the day.    It is only fitting that the life partner he chose, Janelle, does the same, she is always willing to pitch in but treats me like I can do anything.  I am a very proud Mom, and am loved well.  


I want to thank everyone for your support, it has meant the world to me, especially over the blogging, this was way out of my comfort zone.   I was encouraged to include my struggles with MS through this, and it's something I wasn't comfortable with, but am glad that I opened up.  I have grown doing this, I will continue to cycle till I can't

and look forward to seeing many new trails and loving the journey of life.  Ask me if I'm smiling... My life is good..

Much love, and thanks to everyone.


Theresa..

No comments:

Post a Comment