Saturday, August 11, 2012

61kms in one day! I'm in Manitoba

Well since I usually tell myself I'm only allowed two poor me MS days a year, it's time to focus on the good.
I hit Manitoba and this week, and can't believe I'm in the last province, I am certain now I will get this done sooner than I originally anticipated, but will continue cycling till the snow flies.   Just that once I GET ER DONE,  I will go back to normal cycling for fun and fitness, not because I have to.


Lady luck was with me for a change, for my first cycle after hitting the 1000 mark, maybe I've turned a corner, I sensed the rain coming again, and headed home and just got home when the rain started again.  Life is good.   On my cycle, I encountered a deer in Glenbow and stopped as it was nervous and on the trail.  He slowly crossed the wooded bridge over the creek and went into the bushes. I than cycled around in a circle for awhile looking for it, I'm glad I didn't see me from a kitchen window, I can't imagine what someone would think.. Crazy lady on lime green bike going in circles, is she lost?. thank goodness I didn't have orange hair when this was happening.

I have what I call a theme song that reminds me to live and fight my MS my way, when I wasn't even 25 I had received some bad news at the MS clinic and got in my car, and the song Turn me Loose by Loverboy was playing, and I have always said it's my theme song for my fight.   It could just be because I listen to the older rock stations, but I believe it's being played more this summer.   Love these words in the song, I was born to dream, I was born to run.... but especially Turn me Loose I have to do it my way!   Now I'm sure some would just say isn't that stubbornness?

Well yesterday I was excited to get out and cycle the canal area Calgary to Chestermere (small town outside of Calgary).   I wanted to get a good long run in, and this area is paved and FLAT, almost felt like I was cheating.  Some friends joined for part of the ride and it was good to have some company on the cycle.
Once we hit outside of the city and hit the prairie area it was only fitting that it made me feel like I was cycling in Manitoba.  The sky was awesome you could see for miles going east, I loved watching the grasses blow in the breeze, I love all the colors and textures of the different grasses, and the way they blow in the breeze.   Oh did I say breeze twice,  the breeze turned into what I would  call a wind in parts of the way to Chestermere, only once did I think that hills are better with no wind than flat with wind.    It wasn't till the second part of our ride that I realized this really was a breeze!

We passed a couple of areas where they are preserving wetlands, as a bird lover it's great reason to stop have a short rest and enjoy the waterfowl.   I saw a black small heron,little blue heron is the only image that matches but it's not supposed to be any where around here so have no idea what I saw. I also saw a sparrow hawk sitting on a rock eating his lunch, and some ducks and geese.  It's great entertainment while you are cycling and good reasons to stop and enjoy some nature and grab a sip of water!   Made some new friends on the trail, they were gorgeous animals and very friendly!
                                


As we were nearing Chestermere, maybe it's because I'm thinking of Manitoba but Wes saw a sign and said to me Portage,(he pronounced it like the town Portage La Prairie in MB) and I looked and thought what are the odds of that here!   Now maybe it's all wishful thinking or just a tired body, but my first glance I believed him, and then soon realized I need to remember I live with a jokester.



                                       
             We said goodbye to our friends, and headed to max bell arena and I decided I wanted to make a new milestone and cycle 60 kms, we headed out and soon I realized the difference between a breeze and wind!    The good thing for a change was we started out fighting the wind,so knew coming back would be easier.  Once we got past the industrial area, there was lots of greenery and felt more like a park setting.
We cycled by Inglewood golf course and it sure is a mature course that looked awesome, and we also cycled past Heatherglen golf course on our way to Chestermere, I got my first round in the day before and my heartstrings were pulling towards golf while I was cycling by.   Did I mention I beat my hubby yesterday in golf!... I had the golf game of my life and beat the boys, ask me if I was smiling.  The last 10 kms were hard, my butt was sore, my feet were numb, and just plain pooped out.    I know there's a word for this but I just can't think of it, when we were close to the turn off to the car I realized I was going to be short a few kms. so we had to turn around and fight the wind for 2.5 kms. so I could get the 60 kms in.    It did feel good about 5 hours after I got off the bike seat!

I am officially at 1126....YIPPEE!   I am now mentally in in the mood of GET ER DONE,,  but I have to remember not to overdue it...plus I have a longer way on the fundraiser sector.

I want to thank all of you that are sending me cheers via the email, your words continue to make me pedal, many have brought me to tears, and the bonus to this crazy cycle, is realizing just how blessed I am to have so many great friends in my life!   Ask me if I'm smiling.

I know I have been asked many times the last couple of weeks, how to comment on the blog, all I know is I believe you have to sign in through yahoo or Google.  If someone out there knows a hint please post....

    
In my dreamworld I'm in the last province, this is the province  where my roots were first planted, as I was born in Manitoba.  I can see Shoal Lake in the distance, but have no energy to get there, so will sit on the approach and enjoy the views of the prairie grasses blowing in the wind....and enjoy the blue skies that go on forever.

Once again, I hope you enjoy your day, and make the most of it!

Theresa
                                           

                             

1 comment:

  1. Your blog just keeps getting better and better Theresa! Looking forward to having an amazing celebration with you when it comes to a close for this year :) Hint hint....you could do this every summer- no?!

    ReplyDelete