Sunday, August 19, 2012

Less than 300 kms to go!

It's been such a scattered week, that it's hard to focus on where to start sharing.    First I want to thank Sharon for the letter she sent to the Cochrane Eagle about my crazy cycle journey, such kind words.   I went to send the link to my sister Kim as she wanted to read it and than found a lovely response from someone I haven't heard from since she moved to New York!   Double kind words!   I have great friends.

On one of my cycle rides this week, I made myself a extra hot latte and stopped for a visit with the Bow Valley quilters a group I am proud to be a part of.     I shared some giggles, enjoyed my coffee and when I was leaving a friend was leaving as well.   I got on my bike and she in her car, and I said gee I could get some free miles in if I just hung on to your car, she quickly said I would love you as my hood ornament!   I explained I would need to hang on to her door handle in order for my tires to rotate and  to move the odometer.  She said as she was giggling, "Oh I think that would be a wide load, and I can see losing you when I passed a parked car."    Friends that can make you giggle worth keeping!

This last week I have cycled alone, I really thought with Wes being off he would join me, but he was golfing and doing some work in the basement.   He wanted to head to Moraine Lake and take some photographs, so I headed out with him, but brought my bike.   It was beautiful, got a small walk in around the lake and than had a picnic on a rock by stream.   It was a perfect day, got my mountain fix in, and a cycle ride.   I had Wes drop me off in Banff and I cycled to Canmore and meet up with him.  It was my first time being alone cycling in the mountains, I only saw 4 other bikers the whole time, which is rare on that trail.   The afternoon sun was hitting the mountains  in a way that I saw textures in the rock that made me feel in awe of them.   There were so many different shades of grey I have never noticed that before. ( No I wasn't thinking of the books 50 shades of grey, I haven't read them!)  There is something so peaceful that comes over me when I'm in the mountains, and today was no exception.   I loved it!



I was cycling and pondering late in the week weather I should push my self and get the miles done so that I could reach the 1500km  on our upcoming cycling holiday in Coeur D'lane.  It's been in the back of my  mind for awhile, as I am cycling to Winnipeg where I was born, and my grandmother was born in Coeur D'lane so was thinking of the family connection to it all.   My left leg and foot is really bugging me when I cycle, my foot is bruised on the top and hurts to walk.    So I knew in my brain what my decision should be but my heart was pulling me elsewhere.   One of my pet peeves that I hate about having MS, is having to schedule my energy,  this is especially true for holidays, rest before and after...  it just bugs me.  Anyways, when I got home, Wes says, oh Bike Bros called and your part is in, so you have to give them the bike on Monday and they will squeeze it in to get it fixed prior to our holiday.   Don't you just love it, when decisions are made for you!...   I don't believe in coincidences, so I'm sure I needed the rest prior to our trip.


On my ride today, it was the first time in awhile that I felt that good on my bike, I had energy and enjoyed the whole cycle.  I even had to come home and get more water, a first this year!   There was lots of activity on the trails today, TSN was broadcasting from Mitford Ponds and there was a skateboarding competition
going on as well.   I love watching this, so when I heard the music I headed that way.   As I was passing a couple of the youth, one said oh look at that retro bike, pointing at my lime green comfort bike.   At least he was talking about my bike and not me.    I stopped and watched and after watching for about a half hour, I had to giggle to myself, here I am sitting on my comfort bike with my helmet on, watching these youth taking some awful big jumps and spills with no protection on..   I'm officially the older generation.!




I have become allergic to many things, and sensitive to lots of food in the last few years, I blame it on a weakened immune system.  One of the worst things is Ice Cream, which was always my comfort food.  I never thought I would ever give it up, but I have.... So when I came across this on the trail today, looking lonely I thought it was a real cruel joke.  

Not sure when my bike will be ready, but the next blog will be great, as I'm going to my favorite place to cycle!......   Asking me if I'm smiling... 

I'm officially at 1228 kms done!

In my dream world I am 6kms out of Neepawa, I enjoyed dipping my feet in the whitemud river which begins there.   I thought of my hubby while I was there as it's the Lily capital of the world, which is Wes's favorite flower.   I really need a starbuck's latte...... 


I hope you have a great day, and it has a least one good giggle in it...   Peace
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment